Welcome to the
Department of Statistical Sciences
at Wake Forest University
Mission Statement: The mission of the Department of Statistical Sciences is to educate students to become leaders and advocates for sound statistical reasoning, and to improve our society through innovative statistical and interdisciplinary research. To succeed in this mission, the Department will:
- Offer a premier undergraduate educational experience to Statistics, Applied Statistics and Mathematical Business majors, preparing each for successful careers as well as further graduate study.
- Offer a personalized Master’s program in Statistics, creating pathways into the field and opportunities for mentored research.
- Contribute to the advancement of the statistical sciences through peer-reviewed research and scientific collaborations across disciplines.
- Support the wider Wake Forest community with high quality general statistics education offerings.
- MacDonald and Boyer receive departmental awardsElizabeth MacDonald is the recipient of the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award for 2022. MacDonald is being recognized for her research, coursework and dedicated service, which includes mentoring of first year students and extensive outreach efforts. Kathryn Boyer is the recipient of the Outstanding Graduate Student Award for 2022. Boyer is being recognized for her outstanding […]
- Colloquium: Accounting for Spatio-Temporal Sampling Variation in Joint Species Distribution ModelsDr. Erin Schliep, North Carolina State University, Department of Statistics Accounting for Spatio-Temporal Sampling Variation in Joint Species Distribution Models Tuesday, October 25, 11 :OOAM — 101 Carswell Hall Estimating relative abundance is critical for informing conservation and management efforts and for making inferences about the effects of environmental change on populations. Freshwater fisheries span […]
- Seminar: The Unlikely MethodologistThe Unlikely Methodologist: A hodge-podge talk about my research and lessons learned along the way Dr. Jaime Speiser, Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Data Science at Wake Forest University School of Medicine October 11; 11am – 12pm in Carswell 101 Abstract: In this seminar, I will talk about machine learning methods I have developed for […]
- Colloquium: Dr. Mine Cetinkaya-RundelAn educator’s perspective of the tidyverseDr. Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Professor of the Practice and the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Statistical Science, Duke UniversityMonday, September, 26 at 12-1PM in Kirby 120. Computing makes up a large and growing component of data science and statistics courses. Many of those courses, especially when taught by faculty who […]
- Dr. Beavers Receives GrantDr. Daniel Beavers received funding from the National Institute on Aging as MPI for the “Exercise and Bisphosphonate Use to Minimize Weight Loss Associated Bone Loss among Older Adults” (BEACON) clinical trial, along with fellow MPI Dr. Kristen Beavers in Health and Exercise Science. BEACON is a 5-year 2-site randomized controlled trial exploring strategies for preserving […]