Welcome to the
Department of Statistical Sciences
at Wake Forest University
Mission Statement: The mission of the Department of Statistical Sciences is to educate students to become leaders and advocates for sound statistical reasoning, and to improve our society through innovative statistical and interdisciplinary research. To succeed in this mission, the Department will:
- Offer a premier undergraduate educational experience to Statistics, Applied Statistics and Mathematical Business majors, preparing each for successful careers as well as further graduate study.
- Offer a personalized Master’s program in Statistics, creating pathways into the field and opportunities for mentored research.
- Contribute to the advancement of the statistical sciences through peer-reviewed research and scientific collaborations across disciplines.
- Support the wider Wake Forest community with high quality general statistics education offerings.
- Lotspeich receives project fundingDr. Sarah Lotspeich was selected as a recipient of a Wake Forest Intercampus Collaborative Grant with Dr. Joe Rigdon (in Biostatistics at Wake) entitled “Overcoming Data Challenges to Estimate Whole Person Health in the Academic Learning Health System”. This Grant is a new initiative to foster interdisciplinary collaborations across our campus that spark long-term projects that can … Read more
- Colloquium: Modeling Directional Extreme Wind Speed Using an Extreme Value Regression ApproachEva Murphy, PhD. Wake Forest University ZSR Auditorium, Tuesday, September 12th 11:00amRefreshments provided Modeling Directional Extreme Wind Speed Using an Extreme Value Regression Approach Assessing the risk posed by high wind speeds is critical in numerous fields, ranging from structural design to energy generation and climate and weather forecasting. While extreme value (EV) models are … Read more
- The Department of Statistical Sciences at Wake Forest University invites applications for two tenure-track Assistant Professor positionsThe Department of Statistical Sciences at Wake Forest University invites applications for two tenure-track Assistant Professor positions to begin July 1, 2024. We welcome applications from all areas within Statistics, Biostatistics, and Data Science. We seek faculty with a commitment to excellence in both teaching and research, a desire to mentor both undergraduate and graduate … Read more
- Statistical Sciences celebrates faculty,student national award winnersThree faculty members and one graduate student from the Department of Statistical Sciences have won several highly competitive awards at the American Statistical Association’s Annual Meeting in August. Dr. Lucy D’Agostino McGowan, Assistant Professor of Statistical Sciences, has been awarded the 2023 Teaching Statistics in the Health Sciences Young Investigator Award. Dr. Staci Hepler, Associate … Read more
- Hepler receives Early Investigator AwardAssociate Professor of Statistical Sciences Staci Hepler has been awarded the 2023 American Statistical Association (ASA) Section on Statistics and the Environment’s Early Investigator Award. The Early Investigator Award recognizes Hepler’s outstanding contributions to emphasize the cross-disciplinary focus of statistics and the environment. You can read more about the ASA’s ENVR Awards on their website.